Sunday 18 December 2011

Corn Exchange Leeds, Yorkshire ... and a bit more !!


The Corn Exchange in Leeds was designed by a Yorkshire Architect called Cuthbert Brodick. After the success of his competition winning first project of Leeds Town Hall, this was his second building to be completed about 1863. He also designed The Grand Hotel at Scarborough which was completed a few years later.


From the Middle ages to the Victorian era, the City of Leeds developed as leaders in the Wool, weaving and cloth making industries. The successes of these industries brought an affluence to the City that was demonstrated in buildings like this one.


The Dome roof was specifically designed in order for the traders to be able to inspect the grain for its quality.
Unfortunately most businesses have a lifespan and the building eventually began to fall into a state of disrepair. Early proposals of a conversion into a concert hall fell on "deaf ears" and a shopping centre proposal became the favoured idea in 1985 keeping the use of the building with a similar theme.


The speciality shopping centre re-opened to the public five years later to what could be termed as alternative independent traders. Whether this was to do with the fact that the building was situated next to the market and on the edge of the cities shops, who knows ! It took another 17 years before the current owners decided to add a central food area and updated refurbishment in 2007. Another injection of new life.

I leave behind my solo trips to the hills and whatever day trip takes my fancy with the camera as I commence a new series of my real journey of life on the road. What is peculiar however is the fact that this seasonal post, which wouldn't be appropriate in for example March or April, is the very latest in a set that I will retrospectively be displaying.
Photographically, I was restricted by my accomplice who didn't appreciate fully what I was about ... and Leeds is a city for shopping !!! (Apologies to those expecting better images but I will have to return here at some point to repeat the Town Hall and German Christmas market.) This particular day marked a conclusion to a thought that had been haunting me since if not May 2011, then July ... and a step forward with a new beginning as I considered the conclusion during the 90 minutes train journey home. The 26th November was for me personally the worst and yet best day of the year.

Time to move on !!


The Victorian quarter has a number of Arcades that were opened between 1877 and the turn of the century. It carried on the affluent trading tradition of the city in wool and cloth right up to the present day designer shops.

Vivienne Westwood and Mimco boutiques
I managed to sneak outside a shop for five minutes and grab the above two simple images.

After lunch and a wander around the Art Gallery, it was time to take in some sights of the German Christmas market. Unfortunately it was very busy and I was always playing catch up to my accomplice who wouldn't wait and was slightly unfairly critical of the displays.

"Can I not even have time to change the ISO setting ?! " 

Wisdom learnt today from more than just the symbol of Leeds !!
Lastly I finish my post with a seasonal image that puts into perspective a few things about my 2011 journey. In an inversely proportional manner, as this post marks the end of a specific set that I will retrospectively be telling you about soon, so the final image from Sheffield Cathedral was one of the first taken in the year.

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and a great New Year.

A much more important person taking a step on a journey.

20 comments:

  1. I was surprised to see that you had posted two days in a row! What a nice treat for us. Anyway, love those buildings. Enjoyed you comment, 'conversion into a concert hall fell on "deaf ears"' of course.

    Sounds like there were definite conclusions in November.

    #s 4, 6, and 7 would look so nice on my wall.lol Domes and arches. Aren't they beautiful! I don't know if you've ever clicked on my 'British Aisles' icon on my sidebar, but if you have, you will have noticed that arches and domes are among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine attempting to shop inside such a beautiful structure. I would be photographing all of it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't apologize for those photos, J. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed this wander even if you were rushed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these photos! The Christmas mood in the air, the lights, decorations and a hint of craziness are what I love the most about December:)
    Wish you cheerful, peaceful and happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should never apologize for your images J ....Some of the best photographs taken are those where 'rules' on composition and light etc are ignored either on purpose or by accident...

    Your wanderings have giving me (and I am sure a lot of other people) a huge amount of pleasure.

    Have a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year....

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful place to shop or just walk and watch:)
    Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thats some roof,and the arcade just looks like the one in Cardiff!
    Have a Great Christmas and New Year, I have enjoyed your posts over the year and thanks for your visits to George's blog.
    After this comment I will be catching up on the ones I have missed!!as it has been a while since I visited.
    Best Wishes George,Tess and Jan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao J., this is quite an impressive building and also very nice for me! I wanted to wish you a merry Christmas and a new year full of serenity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm particularly impressed by the first and last picture: The Corn Exchange building and the image from Sheffield Cathedral.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful buildings!! Have a lovely Christmas and a New Year filled with more of your wonderful "adventures". Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what an amazing building, despite the difficulties you managed to get some great photos.

    I hate shopping too, unless it is a book shop ;-)

    I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Christmas decor. Love the nativity.

    Merry Christmas.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling.
    As Charles Dickens said better than me :
    "Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!"

    Merry, Happy Christmas my dear Jay!

    Someone else said:
    There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus.

    I believe I am already Santa , so I will try to sent all my best thoughts to you and to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A magnific building. I like that type of Arcades!

    Wishing you a wonderful New Year, J_on _tour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ciao J., I renew to you and your family best wishes for a prosperous and peaceful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you all the blessings of the New Year...the warmth of home, the love of family and the company of good friends. Happy New Year to you...
    ...and Peace within your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. J - I have loved reading your blog in 2011. You put such effort into giving us a well crafted post accompanied by photos that serve to make me long to return to Britain!

    Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and commenter on Cranberry Morning. I pray that you will have a happy, safe, healthful, and blessed 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year and best wishes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks to all for your comments, there was a bit more potential here although I'm not sure how much. At least I've done the Corn Exchange & ... put the other things in this day behind me. It's been a while since I was last here & it might be some time before I'm back again because of the reasons hidden in the post.
    Hope you all enjoyed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails